Careers at LVS
Lions Vision Services (LVS) was created by the Lions Clubs of South Carolina in 1969 and exists today to empower the under-served blind and visually impaired in South Carolina to live safe, meaningful, and fulfilling lives. LVS offers a range of programs and services to low-income South Carolina residents in all 46 counties who apply for need-based financial assistance with obtaining affordable eye surgeries, low vision equipment, health screenings, eyeglasses, and hearing aids. We partner with a robust statewide network of ophthalmologists, anesthesiologists, surgery centers, audiologists, optometrists, low vision doctors, and other nonprofit organizations to provide these services. These partnerships result in LVS clients receiving a significant discount on services, leveraging every $1 raised into $4 in the value of services provided.
Our vision is a vibrant community in which preventable blindness is eliminated, the blind and visually impaired have the resources necessary to live fulfilling lives, and public perception recognizes the potential and dignity of every blind and visually impaired person. We are an organization pursuing rapid and sustained growth to meet the burgeoning and urgent demand for vision health services in South Carolina. Our core values are empathy, community, growth, accountability, and curiosity. We encourage all applicants to read our definitions of these values on our website before applying to gain a better understanding of our organization’s culture.
Currently LVS is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina. While we intend to make every effort to provide a flexible and accommodating work schedule, some positions need to be predominantly based in the Columbia office during normal business hours (9:00am – 5:00pm).
LVS is an equal employment opportunity employer.
NOW HIRING: Operations Manager
The Operations Manager (OM) provides important logistical support as a programmatic and administrative staff liaison for a diverse array of functions within Lions Vision Services including client and donor services. The OM reports directly to the President & CEO on all fundraising and community/external relations matters and to the Executive Vice President (EVP) on all other job responsibilities. The EVP oversees the day-to-day function of the OM position. This is a full-time position based out of the LVS headquarters in Columbia, SC.
Programs and Operations
• Provide logistical support for all LVS programs and client services, including but not limited to: answering client inquiries through multiple channels of communication, directing clients to the appropriate program, assisting clients with the application process, mailing and processing client applications, coordinating client services with direct service providers, and reporting on program/client statuses.
• Anticipate and respond to client/direct service provider needs, coordinating with EVP.
• Answer all vendor inquiries and ensure prompt responses from appropriate LVS staff.
• Provide general office support as directed by the EVP.
• Track maintenance of company vehicles and ensure appropriate planning for ongoing vehicle maintenance needs.
• Ensure payables are appropriately recorded daily.
• Ensure payment receipts are promptly entered into QuickBooks.
• Anticipate financial needs for LVS programs and coordinate those needs with appropriate LVS staff to ensure adequate financial resources.
• Ensure the prompt acknowledgement of all LVS donations with a personalized thank you letter and donation receipt.
• Enter all donations in the Charity Proud donor database and periodically run reports.
• Ensure effective data management best-practices to maximize the organization, functionality, and reliability of the Charity Proud donor database.
• Lead ongoing data review and cleanup within the Charity Proud donor database.
• Assist the President & CEO with other fundraising activities as needed.
• Maintain a donor-centric customer service demeanor with all current and potential donors.
Community Relations and Communication
• Promote awareness of all LVS programs and serve as an effective ambassador for LVS to the community.
• Assist in the development and disbursement of educational material on LVS programs.
• Assist the President & CEO with drafting and preparing cross-channel social media posts that adequately reflect the institutional voice.
• Be an active member of a local Lions Club.
Compliance and Best Practices
• Ensure LVS maintains compliance with all laws, ethical standards, and industry best practices in all departments with effective systems to monitor ongoing compliance.
• Promote transparency and confidence in all LVS operations.
• Demonstrate initiative in identifying and addressing needs within your delegated responsibility.
• Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
• Alignment with and enthusiasm for the LVS mission and core values – a love for serving others.
• Ability to think critically and analytically to solve problems as they occur, anticipate future challenges, and take initiative within your delegated responsibilities.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
• 1-2 years of A/P, A/R experience and related experience in the nonprofit sector.
• Familiarity with Microsoft 365, QuickBooks, and other various business software – a high adaptability to new technology.
• Ability to interact with clients, donors, volunteers, healthcare providers, and others in a positive, uplifting manner.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills – a general proactive approach to communication and adaptability to a range of communication preferences.
• Rigorous attention to detail and goal-oriented organizational skills to manage multiple projects, competing priorities, deadlines, and a fast-paced environment while maintaining thorough records.
• Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation – ability to travel regionally within South Carolina as needed.
• Proficiency/experience in Charity Proud. Please note any experience with CRM systems.
• 3-5 years of related experience in the nonprofit and/or accounting sectors.
• Results Orientation – sets stretch goals and strives to achieve goals.
• Concern for Quality – carefully prepares materials and monitors accuracy.
• Teamwork – fulfills commitments to team members timely, reliably, and efficiently.
• Service Awareness – responds to customer requests in a timely and professional manner.
• Analytical Thinking – breaks down concepts, issues, and problems into their component parts; analyzes the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success in decisions.
Compensation and Benefits:
• The OM position has a starting salary of $40,000/year and is a fulltime salaried non-exempt position, paid bimonthly on the 15th and the last business day of every month.
• Health Insurance – 100% employer paid for employee (available after 90 days).
• Dental/Vision – 100% employer paid for employee (available after 90 days).
• Simple IRA plan with 3% match (available after 6 months).
• 10 paid holidays per year.
• Paid time off – 5 days after 3 months for first year of employment.
• Sick days.
• Maternity and paternity leave.
• Some flexible hours.
• Professional development (including funding for dues in a local Lions Club).
Interested, qualified applicants should send a 1-page cover letter, their resume, and at least 3 references (2 professional, 1 personal) in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager Application” in the subject line by December 31, 2021.
Applications will be received until the position is filled. The anticipated timeline for hiring this position is:
• Applications received and reviewed through December 31, 2021
• Interviews scheduled as applications are received
• Offer made by January 7, 2022
• Start date in January/February 2022
*This is a tentative timeline subject to change based on scheduling. Ideally the candidate selected for this position will be in place no later than February 1, 2022.