When Lions Vision Services was chartered in 1969, Leon Campell was elected the first Chairman of the Board/President of LVS. Leon had a long history in Lions Clubs including service as President of the Greenville Lions Club, Multiple District Secretary-Treasurer, District Governor, member of the International Executive Council, and International Director. Among his many awards and accomplishments were a 29-year record of perfect attendance, South Carolina Lions Hall of Fame Inductee, Melvin Jones Fellow, Dr. Franklin G. Mason Fellow, and Ambassador of Good Will. Leon worked as a realtor in the Upstate, was a Reformed Jew, and had one daughter, Edith, with his wife, Flora. He lived from October 8, 1910 until February 6, 1991.
Leon’s leadership was instrumental to the establishment and early successes of LVS. Under his direction the original governing documents of LVS were established and our purpose to empower the blind and visually impaired in low income families was solidified. He brought 94 Lions Clubs together as key donors to LVS during its first year and launched state-wide fundraising efforts to grow the impact and reach of the organization. His efforts laid the foundation for LVS to ultimately secure tax-exempt status by the IRS and complete a major capital campaign to construct the organization’s first building just a few years later.